Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chicken farm bakers' project # 39 : Mon Entremets, Café panaché: Everything starts from basic

If I say that I don't feel excited for this month project, it's a lie, haha, because this month I'm the host and I'm thrilled that I have a right to tell other members to do whatever I want.

 I had a hard time thinking about what I want my friends to play, well, last 3 months was not the best months in my life, I had a lot to do and think about too (and they weren't about baking). There were many ideas, a lot of request and crazy amount of choices for me, but finally I realized that it's not the project for me only, it's for everyone. So, I stopped thinking about what I want to do, but what will make other people feel good when making it too.
I know that when my friends read about the project, they will think that's hard to make, but I want they to understand that all I said is making something that you like, mix the flavors that you want and turn them into your cake, cake that represents your ideas.
The requirement for my Entremets is easy, they will need one layer of sponge or jonconde because I think it's the meaning of basic, and the other 3 elements, that can be mousse (of different flavors), other kinds of cake, or etc.
I want everyone to realize that any cake that seen complicated to make, they are only a composition of many basic things, sponge cake, syrup, mousse, ganache or anything that you want to put into it. They will be easier to create if you can divide it into parts and understand each part of it. Nothing is beyond that. 
For me, I have a lot of ideas, fruity, tangy, creamy, Oh! I want to make them all, haha. But when I think about what I love most, I turn to my special flavors, coffee and nut. I always love coffee in any kinds of sweet, and peanut butter is my weakness, so how can I put them together and make it delicious.
Peanut butter rarely has an elegant look, it's childish but when it comes with coffee, something changes. It's not a cake for children any more. But for elevating the taste, there are some hidden flavors, they help binding the coffee and peanut together, I add caramel, maple, chocolate, and other kinds and form of nuts as well.
Finally this is my Entremets, "Café panaché: Coffee, caramel and mixed nut cake", a cake that come from my childish idea of peanut butter and grown-up girl of coffee. My cake that I want you to enjoy it, it's good to be young and elegant at the same time, haha.



Mon Entremets, Café panaché
(Coffee, caramel and mixed nut cake)
Makes 7 (6.5 cm cake)

1 ...................................... Basic chocolate sponge cake
Maple and cocoa syrup
80g ................................. Maple syrup
2tbsp .............................. Crème de cacao‎
Peanut butter mousse
135g ................................ Eggs
90g .................................. Icing sugar
120g ................................ Smooth peanut butter
110g ................................ Whipping cream
7g ..................................... Gelatin sheet
Coffee mousse
75g ................................... Whipping cream
75g ................................... Whole milk
7g ...................................... Instant coffee
55g ................................... Sugar
2 ....................................... Egg yolks
6g ..................................... Gelatin sheet
155g ................................. Whipping cream
Frangelico chocolate ganache
70g ................................... Dark chocolate, chopped
85g ................................... Whipping cream
1tsp .................................. Frangelico (Hazelnut Liqueur)
Milk chocolate caramel cream
30g ................................... Milk chocolate
30g ................................... Sugar
125g ................................. Whipping cream
125g ................................. Whipping cream
Decoration
.......................................... Pistachio tuiles
.......................................... Sandy macadamias
.......................................... Dark chocolate pieces


Slice the cake into 2 layers, and cut the sponge cake into 14 pieces .
Mix maple syrup and Crème de cacao‎, and stir to combine.
Place 1 layer of sponge cake in cake molds and sprinkle with syrup.


Make Peanut butter mousse:


Whip eggs and icing sugar in a bowl over a pan of hot water until they reach 60°C.
Continue to whisk for 10 more seconds, and then remove the bowl from hot water. Whip on high speed until it reaches ribbon stage.
Bloom the gelatin in cold water.
Place the peanut butter, 20ml of whipping cream and gelatin in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Whisk them until the gelatin dissolves and the peanut butter softens.
Pour the peanut butter mixture into the ribboned eggs and whip until the mixture reaches 30°C. 
Whip the rest of the whipping cream until soft peaks.
Fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter base.
Put the mousse mixture into the piping bag and pipe onto the prepared cakes, cover with plastic warp.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hour. 


Makes the coffee mousse:

Bloom the gelatin in cold water. 
Mix the 75g of whipping cream with milk and bring to boil.
Meanwhile beat the sugar and egg yolks together in a sauce pan, when the cream mixture comes to a boil, pour it over the egg yolk mixture (whisk all the time), then mix in the instant coffee.
Put the mixture over low heat, stirring continuously until it reaches 82°C.
Take the pan off the heat and stir in the gelatin. Let the mixture cool completely.
 Whip 155g of whipping cream to soft peaks.
Mix 1/3 of the whipped cream into the coffee base fold to combine.
Pour the coffee base into the whipped cream and fold to combine.
Put the mousse into a piping bag.
 Place another piece of sponge cake over the peanut butter mousse and sprinkle with syrup.
Pipe the mousse onto the sponge cakes cover with plastic warp.
Refrigerate for 2 hour. 


Make Frangelico chocolate ganache:
Put the whipping cream into a microwavable bowl, and heat in the microwave for 40-60 seconds or until almost boil.
Put the chopped chocolate into the bowl and stir to combine, stir in the Frangelico.
When the ganache cool (but still pour able) spoon the ganache over the coffee mousse Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm. 


Make Milk chocolate caramel cream:

Combine the sugar and 1/2tsp of water in a heavy saucepan and stir well to mix. Put the 125g of cream  in a second small saucepan, (or put in the microwave proved measuring cup). Place the first pan on medium heat and cook undisturbed until the sugar begins to melt and caramelize-you’ll see a few wisps of smoke coming out of the sugar. Reduce the heat to low and stir occasionally so that the sugar melts and caramelizes evenly. Remove it from the heat when the caramel is still very pale (the sugar will continue to darken off the heat). Slide the pan with the cream onto the burner. As soon as the cream has some bubbles around the edge (if using microwave put the cup in the microwave and heat for 1 minutes), add it to the caramel at arm’s length, averting your face—the caramel will boil up and may splatter out of the pan. 
 Pour the diluted caramel into a chocolate bowl, stir to melt the chocolate and cool it to room temperature.
Mix the caramel chocolate cream and the rest of the cream together, refrigerate until cool.
Whip the caramel cream to soft peaks and pipe it over the cake.
Decorate with chopped pistachio tuiles,  chopped sandy macadamias, one piece of pistachio tuile, whole sandy macadamias and dark chocolate pieces. 


Chicken farm bakers' project # 39 : Mon Entremets, Café panaché: 
Everything starts from basic

12 comments:

  1. You are really inspirational Daily Delicious!I totally agree with you that a cake is truly only components of the basics with your own added twist! Plus it is every baker's dream to make a cake that is made up of all of the delicious flavours we love combined together, creating our very own creation. This is my dream too and i am working very hard on it.I want to think of my family's preferences and add them into the cake so that they will be happy when they eat it. Your post on this cake is very touching and i salute you for that.Keep on baking forever!

    Love,
    Simply Bakes, your admirer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Simply Bakes
    Thank you for you compliment ^^, well I think that many home baker like us are the same, we bake for ourselves and our family.
    It's important to think about them and that make us happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondering, how many pageviews do you get on average per day? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just think that you're too proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, 1 Anonymous
    Haha, not much but I'm just happy to do it.

    Hi, 2 Anonymous
    Sorry to make you felt like that, I'm just happy in everything I do, and I'm proud of it too ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Pook, I love your cake. I want to try to make it for my Dad's birthday nextweek. I don't have Creme de cacao. Where do you buy it? can I subtitude? Please advise. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Iyly
    I bought it from the supermarket, but if you don't have it, I suggest using rum instead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi dear friend.
    im getting familiar with your site recently and i cant stop reading all your older posts.
    im nou much Professional but i like cooking and baking too much and i do it at home for my family. so i have a question:
    plz when u put some dessert like this on the mold, how do you bring it out?? i think is hard to do because im Concerned maybe by doing that i will disfigure the decoration
    so plz if its possible lead me.
    thx a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mostly, I use my blowtorch to warm the mold before taking the cake out. If you don't have blowtorch, just use warm towel, it will melt the side of the cake slightly, and the cake will be able to come out of the mold easily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you very much. by your leading I could find out one of my big questions about desserts.
    thx again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore you!! You are great!! I was just wondering where did you get those lovely square forms??
    Regards!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I order it from
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alan-Silverwood-Square-Food-Ring/dp/B0054YG67S/ref=sr_1_204?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1332927482&sr=1-204

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...